May 27th, 1951: The Giants explain to Minneapolis why they took away Willie Mays. Via Yesterdays News at StarTribune.com
We feel that the Minneapolis baseball fans, who have so enthusiastically supported the Minneapolis club, are entitled to an explanation for the player deal that on Friday transferred Willie Mays from the Millers to the New York Giants.
We appreciate his worth to the Millers, but in all fairness Mays himself must be a factor in these considerations. Merit must be recognized. On the record of performance since the American Association season started, Mays is entitled to his promotion, and the chance to prove that he can play major league baseball. It would be most unfair to deprive him of the opportunity he earned with his play.
We honestly admit too, that this player’s exceptional talents are the exact answer to the Giants’ most critical need.
Please be assured that the New York Giants will continue in our efforts to provide Minneapolis with a winning team. The millers won the pennant in 1950, and another in 1951 is our objective.
Sincerely yours, Horace C. Stoneham, President
- bunkershotgolf likes this
- scrumbucket reblogged this from alright-hamilton and added:
- hellaheather415 reblogged this from alright-hamilton
- paintedtigers reblogged this from wintwins
- kingkoivu reblogged this from wintwins
- michaelclair likes this
- wintwins reblogged this from mightyflynn and added:
- wezenball reblogged this from mightyflynn and added:
- supersiren reblogged this from mightyflynn
- thesnugofthepub reblogged this from mightyflynn
- beautyfetishist likes this
- northstar78 likes this
- theyseemerollins likes this
- stationtostation likes this
- timekiller-s likes this
- glanzer likes this
- landay likes this
- beisbol4life reblogged this from mightyflynn
- cudi-zone likes this
- newdesultorybaseball likes this
- baseballerswithprettyeyes likes this
- retrojayscards likes this
- mightyflynn reblogged this from alright-hamilton and added:
- alright-hamilton posted this